Thursday, September 01, 2005

Refugee:

n. One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution;

n. An individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion).

So why on God's green earth are the media referring to the victims of the hurricane as refugees? They are Americans. They're not fleeing war. Though Louisiana isn't the most tolerant state, they're not in fear of persecution.

Oh, I know why. It's because they're black and/or poor. That makes perfect sense. The black and/or poor aren't really Americans. They're refugees.

Have I mentioned how much I hate this country sometimes? Well, it could be worse. I could be Australian! (just kidding to all of the nice Australian people who've been frequenting my site as of late. That doesn't include you, Rudy).

6 Comments:

Blogger Rudy Zarsov said...

Would you like a hug?

9/01/2005 11:29 PM  
Blogger foxxxylove said...

Ha! I had that one comin.

9/02/2005 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

media does love a catchy title/word/phrase.
Definition is not important but the ability to evoke a response is.
Bit like the 'war on terror'. whats that? oh , i see, you mean the unjustified and unprovoked attack on another country.
somehow i dont think it has much to do with the whole black/white thing.
sure your not rascist??
just a little bit???
thought you ight be.

9/02/2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger foxxxylove said...

Who's the anonymouse LOSER? First, I don't agree with the supposed "War on Terror." In fact, I protested. Second, somehow, I think that you're the only one left of the planet ignoring the race issue. As for me being racist, I think I'm very comfortable with what I think and feel. I've made my stance very clear. You, on the other hand, are posting anonymously on my blog.

9/03/2005 1:37 AM  
Blogger Rudy Zarsov said...

it wasn't me...i've got more guts then to post anonymous.
ps. foxxxy i think you are great.
xxxoooxxx
it's only Molly who has a problem

9/03/2005 3:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you on this thought. No matter how hard I try to think of a logical reason of why these people went so many long, hot days without food or water or assistance or a concrete plan of action to help the sick, dying and traumatized, I can't figure one out. Like race relations in America needed this horrific blunder. A sea of black faces wondering when the hell help is arriving. We can fly a water purification system halfway around the world the very next day after the Tsunami hit Indonesia, but we don't have enough fucking resources to ship supplies down in our own country so that our own people aren't left fending for themselves in the middle of chaos, wondering if the rest of us have left them all there to die?

I just can't figure what the hell is going on and my heart is broken for all these people. The ones still stuck in the city and the long road ahead for so many displaced. It just sucks.

9/03/2005 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home